[LLVMdev] lifetime.start/end clarification

Arnaud A. de Grandmaison arnaud.degrandmaison at arm.com
Wed Nov 5 08:47:34 PST 2014

Here are some comments.

It seems to me there are 2 (mostly separate) aspects:

1. Teaching clang how to do domination / post-domination analysis, so that the lifetime information (alloca/dealloca, or lifetime markers) can be set in the right locations in the IR. Such an analysis should be able to understand the language scopes, as well as labels / gotos and EH. The results of this analysis would be used at IR codegen.

Caveat: I have no expertise in this area of Clang, so take everything with a grain of salt and please feel free to correct me.

Where should this analysis be run ? Presumably at the beginning of each function’s codegen’s time.

This analysis looks a bit special (at least to me), as it will work over the AST, but it also requires a pretty good understanding of LLVM’s IR, which sets it apart from other clang analyses.

Maybe another option (some may call it a poor’s man option) would be to enforce at IR codegen time the dominators / post-dominators on the multiple paths (normal & EH control flows) by inserting basic blocks around each statement which is codegened. Those would be fall-thru most of the time, the llvm optimizers can remove them easily. The obvious drawback is that it will insert lots of small or fall-thru BBs.

2. How liveranges are represented in LLVM’s IR.

I like the idea of pairing alloca / dealloca (and removing the lifetime markers, at least for stack coloring) and I think it could even ease / improve some analysis.

Currently, allocas have to be located in the entry BB in order to get a chance to be promoted to registers by the Mem2Reg pass. Allocas in other BBs are considered to be dynamic. I have no idea how difficult it would be to teach Mem2Reg to consider alloca/dealloca in other basic blocks.

With the alloca / dealloca solution, in order to do stack colouring, the alloca must _not_ be in the entry block, because all allocas defined there are alive at the same time and cannot be merged. All LLVM passes would need to be teached that those alloca / dealloca pairs correspond to stack slots --- as the alloca in the entry. The pairing would also have to be preserved across transformations (same as lifetime.start/end).

Cheers,

Arnaud