[LLVMdev] Out-of-tree passes (Was: LLVM Weekly - #43, Oct 27th 2014)

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Sat Nov 1 16:55:53 PDT 2014

Reid Kleckner wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Philip Reames
> <listmail at philipreames.com <mailto:listmail at philipreames.com>> wrote:
>
>     +1 on this.  I use Clang on the release schedule, but our LLVM work
>     tracks TOT.  IMHO, trying to do anything else for an embedded
>     compiler in a VM is pure folly and will lead to worlds of pain.
>

> Nick Lewycky is currently doing Google's internal Clang releases, and we
> actually tag them in svn over here:
> http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/llvm/tags/google/stable/
> http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/cfe/tags/google/stable/
>
> I would only recommend using this release cadence for Clang if you have
> the resources to stay up to date on fallout from warnings, C++ defect
> reports, and such. I expect most users aren't willing to deal with that.

Basing your internal releases off of our stable tags is probably a good
idea. We test aggressively, and since we try to update weekly, you can
simply pick our latest tag whenever you're ready.

However, we recently started cherrypicking additional revisions on top
of the ones we mark stable, and those aren't reflected upstream. If you
have any ideas on how we should handle that, please let me know. It's on
our todo list to do something about it, but I haven't figured out what
that "something" should be yet. Note that we currently tag, not branch,
and we probably don't want to branch all of llvm+clang+compiler_rt every
week.

Nick