[LLVMdev] How to decide whether a function is executed or not

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Fri May 30 08:55:48 PDT 2014

On May 20, 2014, at 8:19 PM, Bruce Hoult <bruce at hoult.org> wrote:

> There exist microcontrollers with 16 or 32 bytes of registers, and no RAM. It's enough to run your washing machine, or microwave oven.

A little OT nitpick: Maybe for microwave ovens it’s OK, but for clotheswashing machines I’d say it’d be a no-go with 32 bytes of memory. Modern washing machines use brushless, sensorless motors where you need to run a state estimator, a vector generator, and a PID or similar controller. Filters in those often need to keep quite a bit of history around, and I’d be very happy to hear about someone pulling it all off in less than 384 bytes of data RAM for stack and variables.

Cheers, Kuba