[LLVMdev] LLVM JIT and PGO in JIT

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Wed May 28 09:28:20 PDT 2014

On 05/27/2014 02:36 PM, Qiong Cai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't touched LLVM codes for many years. I have a few questions
> related to LLVM JIT and PGO in JIT:
> 1) Is LLVM JIT method-based or trace-based JIT?
It could be used to implement either.  Method-based is the most natural
usage though.
> 2) How does LLVM do gear shift from the interpreter mode to the JIT mode?
It doesn't.  LLVM provides the framework for building the JIT; you have
to provide the runtime, interpreter, and compilation policy.
> 3) Any profiling mechanism implemented in LLVM JIT?
There's some limited support for instrumentation passes, but I don't
believe it's particularly solid.  I haven't looked at this area in any
detail though.
> 4) Any profile-guided optimization implemented in LLVM JIT?
Yes.  At the moment, they're fairly limited, but there's a fair amount
of work happening in this area over the last few months. Contributions
welcome.

Philip