[LLVMdev] [CodeGenPrepare] Sinking incoming values of a PHI Node

Jingyue Wu jingyue at google.com
Wed May 21 14:18:43 PDT 2014

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your feedback! Quite thoughtful.

1. Is it CGP-specific or more generic?

I still think it is CGP-specific. The first two examples are probably too
simple, but the third example is more interesting:

(for simplicity, rewriting the example in pseudo-code)

if (cond) {
  p = a + 4
  *p
} else {
  q = b + 4
}
r = phi(p, q)
*r

With my imaginary optimization, the code becomes:

if (cond) {
  p = a + 4
  *p
} else {
  q = b + 4
}
r2 = phi(a, b)
r = r2 + 4
*r

When cond == true, the program will run two additions (p = a + 4 and r = r2
+ 4) instead of one in the original code. Therefore, this transformation
may not be a right thing to do in previous passes.

2. How does CGP decide profitability?

If an address is used (either memory use or non-memory use) multiple times,
folding it to load/store may increase the register pressure. So, to answer
your question, it's a performance consideration instead of a correctness
issue. The comments before IsProfitableToFoldIntoAddressingMode give a very
nice example. Note that, as they said, this profitability computation is
just a rough heuristic and may be too conservative.

/// IsProfitableToFoldIntoAddressingMode - It is possible for the
addressing
/// mode of the machine to fold the specified instruction into a load or
store
/// that ultimately uses it.  However, the specified instruction has
multiple
/// uses.  Given this, it may actually increase register pressure to fold
it
/// into the load.  For example, consider this code:

///

///     X = ...

///     Y = X+1

///     use(Y)   -> nonload/store

///     Z = Y+1

///     load Z

///

/// In this case, Y has multiple uses, and can be folded into the load of Z

/// (yielding load [X+2]).  However, doing this will cause both "X" and
"X+1" to
/// be live at the use(Y) line.  If we don't fold Y into load Z, we use one

/// fewer register.  Since Y can't be folded into "use(Y)" we don't
increase the
/// number of computations either.

///

/// Note that this (like most of CodeGenPrepare) is just a rough heuristic.
 If
/// X was live across 'load Z' for other reasons, we actually *would* want
/// fold the addressing mode in the Z case.  This would make Y die earlier.

One exception where they do sink an address with multiple uses is that all
uses of this address are ultimately load/store/inlineasm's. This is
actually the case for our example: both *p and *r are memory uses.
Therefore, the issue here is relatively minor: MatchOperationAddr does not
track PHI nodes, and thus doesn't realize "p = a + 4" can be folded into
*phi(p, q).

Also, you are right in saying the profitability constraint should be "if
each load can fold", not "if each load can fold the same way". I missed
some logics there.

Thanks,
Jingyue