[LLVMdev] Use perf tool for more accurate time measuring on Linux

Yi Kong kongy.dev at gmail.com
Tue May 20 13:00:09 PDT 2014

On 20 May 2014 17:55, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:
> On 20/05/2014 18:20, Yi Kong wrote:

>>> Hi Yi Kong,
>>>
>>> thanks for testing these changes.

>>> I think this sounds like a very good direction.
>>>
>>> How did you evaluate the improvements exactly? The following run shows
>>> e.g
>>> two execution time changes:
>>

>> I sent a screenshot of original results in the previous mail. We used
>> to have lots of noise readings, both from small machine background
>> noise and large noise from the timing tool. Now noise from timing tool
>> is eliminated and only few machine background noise is left. This
>> makes manual investigation possible.
>

> I think we need to get this down to zero even at the cost of missing
> regressions. We have many commits and runs per day, having one or two noisy
> results per run means people will still not look at performance changes.
>

>>> http://parkas16.inria.fr:8000/db_default/v4/nts/9
>>>
>>> Are they expected? If I change e.g. the aggregation function to median
>>> they disappear. Similarly the graph for one of them does not suggest an
>>> actual performance change:
>>

>> Yes, some false positives due to machine noise is expected. Median is
>> more tolerant to machine noise, therefore they disappear.
>

> Right.
>
> What I find interesting is that this change filters several results that
> seem to not be filtered out by our statistical test. Is this right?

Yes. MWU test is nonparametric, it examines the order rather than the
actual value of the samples. However eliminating with median uses
actual value(if medians of two samples are close enough, we treat them
as equal).

> In the optimal case, we should be able to set the confidence level we
> require high enough to filter out these results as well. Is this right?

Yes. The lowest confidence we can set is still quite high(90%). We can
certainly add a lower confidence option, but I can't find any MWU
table lower than that on the Internet.

Also, we should modify value analysis(based how close the
medians/minimums are) to vary according to the confidence level as
well. However this analysis is parametric, we needs to know how data
is actually distributed for every test. I don't think there is a
non-parametric test which does the same thing.

> Is there currently anything that blocks us from increasing the confidence
> level further reducing the noise level at the cost of some missed
> regressions?
>

>> As suggested by Chandler, we should also lock the CPU frequency to
>> further reduce machine noise.
>

> I set it to 2667.000 Mhz on parkas16. You can try if this improves
> something.

Sure. I'm shutting down the server to run the tests.