[LLVMdev] Finding safe thread suspension points while JIT-ing (was: Add pass run listeners to the pass manager.)

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Thu May 15 09:56:01 PDT 2014

On 05/12/2014 05:20 PM, Andrew Trick wrote:

> The thread yield API is primarily for user mode scheduling of threads.
>
> A JIT could certainly use it for GC and other VM tasks. That isn’t
> necessary for us because those tasks can run concurrent with the LLVM
> thread until it completes. It would only be a problem if there are
> resource constraints.
Having the use case up front would have been very useful.  I had my own
set of assumptions about what you were doing - gc safepoints - which
turned out to be inaccurate.  Can I ask that you make an effort to spell
out the intended use case in future proposals?  This has happened a
couple of times now and it's wasting both my time and yours.  I'll try
to ask more explicitly as well, rather than make my own assumptions
about what you're doing.

Thanks,
Philip