[LLVMdev] Missed optimization opportunity in 3-way integer comparison case

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Wed May 14 00:37:05 PDT 2014

On 05/13/2014 04:32, Bruce Hoult wrote:
> My copy only uses one cmp if you use int as in your C sample code. It
> produces like your llvm and x86 code if you use unsigned. I don't
> think it has any choice.

Bruce,

Yes, my original example had an unsigned comparison, and clang produces
to 'cmp' instructions only in unsigned case. However, in both signed and
unsigned cases it is possible to compare with only one 'cmp' instruction.

Here is the procedure that does such comparison with one 'cmp' in the
case of unsigned arguments:
         .text
         .file   "cmp.c"
         .globl  mycmp
         .align  16, 0x90
         .type   mycmp, at function
mycmp:
         pushq   %rbp
         movq    %rsp, %rbp
         movl    $-1, %eax
         cmpl    %edi, %esi
         ja      .LBB0_2
         sbbl    %eax, %eax
         andl    $1, %eax
.LBB0_2:
         popq    %rbp
         retq
.Ltmp3:
         .size   mycmp, .Ltmp3-mycmp

So clang does miss this optimization opportunity, but only in unsigned case.

Yuri