[LLVMdev] Name of the libraries + soname? 3.4.1 ?

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre at debian.org
Sun May 11 23:41:36 PDT 2014

Hello,

With the release of 3.4.1, the LLVM library has been renamed from
libLLVM-3.4.so to libLLVM-3.4.1.so. In parallel, the soname has been
updated to
reflect this change.

AFAIK, we kept the ABI compatible from 3.4 to 3.4.1. So, is there any
reason for doing it?
This caused some breakages in Debian (basically, breaking some X because
of mesa could not
link against LLVM due to the new soname).
I noticed that we did the same with 3.5.

I am not sure to understand what was wrong with the X.Y naming schema.

Thanks
Sylvestre