[LLVMdev] DWARF unmangled subprog name (DW_AT_name)

Alexey Samsonov samsonov at google.com
Fri May 9 15:38:20 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Isaiah Norton <isaiah.norton at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Alright, I see why it makes sense. We can pass this information through
>> DILineInfoSpecifier. In fact, probably it makes sense to change the layout
>> of this structure:
>> there would be 3 types of file/line info (None, Regular,
>> AbsoluteFilePath). (though, probably we may make latter the default) and 3
>> types of function name info (None, Name, LinkageName).
>>

> Here is a proposed patch, but with more limited scope than mentioned
> above. Patch just adds LInkageName as a default-on option to the existing
> DILineInfoSpecifier structure, and makes corresponding changes in the
> necessary functions.

I don't like this approach. Having two distinct flags (FunctionName and
LinkageName) describing the output format of a single field is confusing.
The value of LinkageName is silently ignored if FunctionName is not
specified. enum would be more appropriate here.

We would also need to test this behavior somehow. One of the option is to
expose it via llvm-symbolizer tool - and make its "--functions" flag take a
string value instead of a bool. I understand that it's extra work to do.
I'm ok with making these changes myself, but won't be able to get to it
until next week.

--
Alexey Samsonov, Mountain View, CA