[LLVMdev] parallel loop metadata question

Humphreys, Jonathan j-humphreys at ti.com
Fri May 9 14:08:34 PDT 2014

I propose that we change the first paragraph of http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#llvm-mem-parallel-loop-access-metadata:

---
For a loop to be parallel, in addition to using the llvm.loop metadata to mark the loop latch branch instruction, also all of the memory accessing instructions in the loop body need to be marked with the llvm.mem.parallel_loop_access metadata. If there is at least one memory accessing instruction not marked with the metadata, the loop must be considered a sequential loop. This causes parallel loops to be converted to sequential loops due to optimization passes that are unaware of the parallel semantics and that insert new memory instructions to the loop body.
---

To be:

---
The llvm.mem.parallel_loop_access metadata attaches to instructions and denotes that no loop carried memory dependence exist between it and other such denoted instructions.  The llvm.mem.parallel_loop_access metadata refers to a loop identifier, or metadata containing a list of loop identifiers for nested loops - these are the loops to which the metadata applies.  Precisely, given two instructions m1 and m2 that both have llvm.mem.parallel_loop_access metadata, with L1 and L2 being the set of loops associated with that metadata, respectively, then there is no loop carried dependence between m1 and m2 for loops in both L1 and L2.

Trivially, if all memory accessing instructions in a loop have llvm.mem.parallel_loop_access metadata that refers to that loop, then the loop has no loop carried memory dependence and is considered to be a parallel loop.  Note that if not all memory access instructions have this metadata referring to this loop, then the loop is not trivially parallel - additional memory dependence analysis is required to make that determination.  As a fail safe mechanism, this causes loops that were originally parallel to be considered sequential if optimization passes that are unaware of the parallel semantics insert new memory instructions into the loop body.
---

Please let me know your feedback.

As far as taking advantage of the more precise semantics, I've dropped the priority of this work because I'm not seeing cases where we insert memory instruction.  I'm wondering if others have any anecdotal evidence of how often we 'loose' the fact that a loop is parallel because of inserting memory instructions during optimizations.

Thanks
Jon