[LLVMdev] 3.4 branch gcc 4.9 build error

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Mon May 5 12:51:33 PDT 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com> wrote:
>
>> I suspect that pulling in clang header fixes r201729, r202911 and r207606
>> to 3.4.1 will resolve libstdc++ / glibc compatibility issues people have
>> been having with 3.4:
>>
>>   r201729: Teach Clang to provide ::max_align_t in C11 and C++11 modes)
>>   r202911: Headers: Provide an ABI compatible max_align_t when _MSC_VER
>> is defined)
>>   r207606: Let stddef.h respect __need_{wchar_t, size_t, NULL, ptrdiff_t,
>> wint_t}.
>>
>> The changes look safe to merge but I'd like to hear a second opinion from
>> Chandler or Nico.
>>

> I believe all of these are very safe, but I respect Tom's position here.
> As he is managing the release, he gets to say "not in this one". If you
> want someone to approve merging these three patches into any release,
> Richard Smith is the person to ask IMO.

The first two are approved for the branch if Tom wants to take them (and
they seem like good fixes to have).

Tom: if you take r201729, you will need to also take the corresponding
libc++ change, r201843.

r207606 hasn't had much time to bake, and fixes a problem that is not a
regression, so I'd be hesitant to approve it for 3.4.1.