[LLVMdev] [RFC] Benchmarking subset of the test suite

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Sun May 4 14:01:33 PDT 2014

----- Original Message -----

Thanks! -- I figured you'd have something to add to this endeavor ;)

> For the shootout benchmarks I looked at the results and the history
> my
> LNT -O3 builder shows (long history, always 10 samples per run,
> http://llvm.org/perf/db_default/v4/nts/25326)
>
> Some observations from my side:
>
> ## Many benchmarks from your list have a runtime of zero seconds
> reported in my tester

This is true from my data is well.

> ## For some of the benchmarks you propose, manually looking at the
>    historic samples allows a human to spot certain trends:
>
>  > MultiSource/Benchmarks/Prolangs-C/football/football
>
> http://llvm.org/perf/db_default/v4/nts/graph?show_all_points=yes&moving_window_size=10&plot.237=34.237.3&submit=Update
>
>  > MultiSource/Benchmarks/Prolangs-C/simulator/simulator
>
> http://llvm.org/perf/db_default/v4/nts/graph?show_all_points=yes&moving_window_size=10&plot.314=34.314.3&submit=Update

Are these plots of compile time or execution time? Both of these say, "Type: compile_time". I did not consider compile time in my analysis, and I think that is a separate issue.

> ## Some other benchmarks with zero seconds execution time are not
> contained in your list. E.g.:
>
> SingleSource/Benchmarks/Shootout/objinst
> SingleSource/Benchmarks/Shootout-C++/objinst

Interestingly, on my x86 machines this also executes for zero time, but at -O0 it takes a significant amount of time (and on PPC, even at -O3, it runs for about 0.0008s). So I think it is still useful to keep these.

> ## Some benchmarks on your list are really _no_ benchmarks:
>
> Shoothout hello:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main() {
>      puts("hello world\n");
>      return(0);
> }
>
> Shootout sumcol:
>
> int main(int argc, char * * argv) {
>      char line[MAXLINELEN];
>      int sum = 0;
>      char buff[4096];
>      cin.rdbuf()->pubsetbuf(buff, 4096); // enable buffering
>
>      while (cin.getline(line, MAXLINELEN)) {
>          sum += atoi(line);
>      }
>      cout << sum << '\n';
> }

Indeed.

> To subsum, I believe this list might benefit from some improvements,
> but
> it seems to be a really good start. If someone wants to do a more
> extensive analysis, we can always analyze the historic data available
> in
> my -O3 performance buildbot. It should give us a very good idea on
> how
> noisy certain benchmarks are.

Sounds good to me.

 -Hal