[LLVMdev] [lld] supporting gnu linkonce sections in core linking

Shankar Easwaran shankare at codeaurora.org
Mon Mar 31 10:26:13 PDT 2014

Hi Nick, Bigcheese,

I wanted to add support to support .gnu.linkonce sections in the resolver.

_*About .gnu.linkonce sections*_
.gnu.linkonce sections were primarily present in ELF that was used in a
way to model COMDAT in early ELF implementations.

We have seen usecases of .gnu.linkonce sections used in various object
files(mainly libc), and I think its much needed to support this style in
lld as well.

_*a solution to support .gnu.linkonce in lld*_

I was thinking of adding a typeGnuLinkOnce and special case it in the
Resolver.

_*Differences between .gnu.linkonce and COMDAT*_
The only thing that I see a difference between gnu linkonce sections and
COMDAT is to raise an error when there is a similar looking section with
section groups.

Do you see any better design solutions here ?

Thanks

Shankar Easwaran

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by the Linux Foundation