[LLVMdev] using just llvm/clang for building mips llvm

Richard Pennington rich at pennware.com
Thu Mar 27 15:30:17 PDT 2014

On 03/27/2014 04:17 PM, reed kotler wrote:
> In case anyone is interested....
>
> We don't need to compile llvm/clang using gcc anymore for the building
> of mips hosted llvm compilers.
>
> We build a linux mips hosted compiler starting with llvm/clang on x86
> linux using the normal configure scripts and
> then can use that resulting compiler to build further llvm/clang
> native compilers on the mips linux host.
>
> The cross compiler and native compiler driver for Mips works
> seamlessly (thanks to Simon Atanasyan) just as gcc does.
>
> For our build slave that is connected to the llvm build bots, we are
> using our native clang/llvm (built as above) to built the llc
> that is used for make check.
>
> I'm doing some more work to automate the testing of the recursed
> compilers and other verification on the mips target.
Hi Reed,

Very cool. I'd love to know if my pre-compiled Mips toolchain for ELLCC
(http://ellcc.org), downloadable from ftp://ellcc.org/pub, can actually
run on a Mips. Any idea where I could find a Mips box to try it on?

It was compiled using a clang based x86_64 compiler, by the way.
The ARM binaries work just fine, at least on Fedora ARM Linux running
under QEMU.

-Rich