[LLVMdev] Interprocedural Block Placement algorithm, challenges and opportunities

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 19 12:25:43 PDT 2014

Dear Rahman,

First, if you can, try to use the mapping between BasicBlocks and
MachineBasicBlocks after all LLVM IR optimizations have been done (if
you are not doing that already).

Second, there are several ideas you might want to try:

1. The llvm.pcmarker() intrinsic seems close to what you need. That
said, it looks like the optimizers are free to move them around any way
they like, but perhaps most optimizations will leave them within the
basic block in which they were originally inserted.

2. A volatile load or an llvm.prefetch instruction might be a workable
hack.  Alternatively, you could insert an inline assembly call which the
optimizer is unlikely to move.  The key here is to provide a unique
argument to the each instruction you insert so that you can map it back
to its original basic block.

3. You could insert an llvm.var.annotation or llvm.annotation intrinsic
into each basic block and modify the code generator to recognize your
annotation.

I'm not sure which of these would be the best option.  I would try
llvm.pcmarker first to see if that works and then move on to the other
options as needed.

Regards,

John Criswell