[LLVMdev] GSOC - Use more StringRef in clang.

Kevin Cox kevincox at kevincox.ca
Mon Mar 17 06:16:12 PDT 2014

Hello,

I was looking to tackle the "StringRef'ize APIs" suggestion from the
clang project page and just wanted to post a couple of thoughts and ask
a couple of questions.

First of all I am going to talk about how I see the goals of the
project.  Basically, as far as I understand it I will be converting
existing functions that take std::string or char*'s to use
llvm::StringRef where applicable.  Then I will be changing a number of
call sites to use this new function.

One major question I have is should the old version be removed?  It
would be very possible to convert the old version as a stub and it may
make it easier for others when they have a string rather than a
StringRef (although conversion is simple anyways).  Also there may be
API and ABI implications if a function from the public API is converted.
 What do you think the best approach for this is?

Another question I have is how would you define focus.  A large part of
the project is hunting through the source to find and change these
functions so how would "progress" be defined.  GSOC requires a solid
requirement for mid-term and final requirements.  Should I choose a
number of functions that I expect to have converted in this time or is
there a better criteria that you can think of.

cheers,
Kevin