[LLVMdev] EHABI: Remaining issues

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sat Mar 15 11:47:56 PDT 2014

On 15 March 2014 17:06, Logan Chien <tzuhsiang.chien at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to know what do you mean by "commoning them up"?

Hi Logan,

That'd be reducing ARM directives in favour of CFI, but as I said (and
you too), GNU compatibility will probably be an issue for a very long
time.

> For the space issue, I personally don't think this is a big issue.  For the
> code without exception handling, only stack informations will be encoded.
> Besides, the encoding format is very compact.  In the common cases, the code
> without exception handling needs only 8-12 bytes per function.  If this is
> still an issue, then -fno-unwind-table might be a solution (i.e. at llvm
> assembly level, the function should be marked with nounwind and without
> uwtable.)

Yes, and that's what my merge request implements:

http://llvm-reviews.chandlerc.com/D3079

As soon as that's in, I believe EHABI is finally in good shape to be
called Beta.

Since the 3.4 release I'm trying to get the EHABI and IAS support in
good shape (removing the final restraints, testing a lot), for them to
be enabled by default in 3.5, and I think we got it, thanks to you,
Anton, Saleem and many others.

cheers,
--renato