[LLVMdev] RFC - Adding an optimization report facility?

Diego Novillo dnovillo at google.com
Thu Mar 6 12:22:28 PST 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:

as others already pointed out, I committed the first piece of such an
> infrastructure in LLVM commit 202474 and clang commit 202475. This is
> mostly the backend and printing infrastructure.

Thanks, Tobias.  I've browsed the two patches and I think they're going to
be exactly what I need. IIUC, the patches add two new LLVM instructions
remark and note. These are inserted in the IL by the passes and the
compiler emits them as diagnostic if the right -W flag is enabled?

One question I have from the Clang patch. If I compile with -Weverything,
will this enable all warnings *and* remarks? In this context, I only want
to enable all remarks.  In fact, I want to enable a family of remarks: the
optimization remarks.

There will be other modifiers to these remarks as well:

   1. Report *missed* optimizations, instead of the successful ones.
   2. Increase verbosity of the report. This would be done using note
   nodes, I expect. But we may want varying degrees of verbosity.
   3. Group families of optimizations. For example, i want to report on all
   loop-related optimizations.
   4. IIRC, GCC's -fopt-info will also allow you to collect the reports
   into a separate text file. Not sure how useful I find this feature myself.

Thanks. Diego.