[LLVMdev] cmake doesn't build libLTO with debug info

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith dexonsmith at apple.com
Tue Mar 4 17:53:13 PST 2014

+llvmdev

Thanks for the reply Nick.

On Mar 4, 2014, at 3:39 PM, Nick Kledzik <kledzik at apple.com> wrote:

> Either libLTO was build with debug info or it was not, running dysmutil does not change that.

Right; my language wasn’t precise.

> For daily development, you don’t need dsymutil.  lldb also looks for debug notes and finds the original .o files and loads the debug info as needed.
>
> Maybe, you moved libLTO to a different machine, or maybe you moved/deleted your .o files before trying to debug, or maybe this is some weird C++ debug info issue??

I was debugging libLTO.dylib, which I hadn’t done since I switched from
configure to cmake.  I didn’t get any symbols in lldb until I ran
dsymutil and loaded them manually.  Last time I debugged libLTO.dylib
(with configure+make), I hadn’t had to run dsymutil.

However, I’ve just tried to reproduce the problem on a trivial test case
and it’s gone.  I can’t remember what my environment was at the time,
but it looks like user error, or at least unrelated to cmake!