[LLVMdev] Upstreaming PNaCl's IR simplification passes

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Mar 4 17:14:46 PST 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at google.com> wrote:

> As for the maintenance cost... the passes are really quite simple in
> essence. Moreover, if two very significant projects rely on them (PNaCl is
> officially released in Chrome, Emscripten is extremely popular too), it
> seems unlikely to me that they will bit-rot.

I want to be clear, I'm not claiming they will bitrot. I'm claiming that
they are a technical burden that is being added to that of the community,
and I don't currently see the balancing contributions from the developers
on those projects to the core of LLVM.

Could the project tolerate the burden? I am not optimistic. For example, I
don't think that the community has the free bandwidth to give the technical
review to the patches that they need.

The thing is, there are simple (if not "easy" as it requires a lot of work)
ways to address this: PNaCl folks could become more active contributors to
the project, or they could make the changes have a significant positive
effect on the existing complexity of the system. Or even better, both! But
I've not yet seen real evidence of either.