[LLVMdev] Advise on Git mirror for llvm-lit

Daniel Liew daniel.liew at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Mar 1 05:25:07 PST 2014

Hi Konstantin,

>> I find the llvm-lit tool incredibly useful for other to setup a git
>> mirror that mirrors only stuff in utils/lit which I could then use as
>> a git submodule in other projects I work on. The rationale for doing
>> this is that that cloning the llvm git repository is wasteful if I
>> only want llvm-lit.

Oops. There was a typo there. That should of said.

 "I find the llvm-lit tool incredibly useful for other non-LLVM
projects. I'd like to setup a git mirror that only mirrors stuff in
utils/lit which I could then use as a git submodule in other
projects".

> Are you sure you really need git, or you just want to install last stable
> version? If the latter, run `pip install lit` to install it system-wide.
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/lit/0.2.0

Git isn't essential. I didn't know that llvm-lit was in pypi. It seems
that this version is quite out of date though. My lit.site.cfg files
work with upstream llvm-lit and when I try to use lit from pypi, I get
th

> --
> Regards, Konstantin

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I just noticed there was a typo in my last e-mail. That should of said
"I find the llvm-lit tool incredibly useful for other non-LLVM
projects. I'd like to setup a git mirror that only mirrors stuff in
utils/lit which I could then use as a git submodule".

> Are you sure you really need git, or you just want to install last stable
> version? If the latter, run `pip install lit` to install it system-wide.
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/lit/0.2.0

Thanks. I didn't realise llvm-lit was in pypi, this is probably a
better solution. It doesn't seem this version has been updated in a
while though. I've been using upstream llvm-lit and when I try to use
lit from pip I get the following error message when it tries to load
my lit.site.cfg file.

```
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/dan/pythonvenv/bin/lit", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('lit==0.2.0', 'console_scripts', 'lit')()
  File "/home/dan/pythonvenv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/lit/main.py",
line 522, in main
    testSuiteCache, localConfigCache)[1])
  File "/home/dan/pythonvenv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/lit/main.py",
line 230, in getTests
    ts,path_in_suite = getTestSuite(path, litConfig, testSuiteCache)
  File "/home/dan/pythonvenv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/lit/main.py",
line 199, in getTestSuite
    ts, relative = search(item)
  File "/home/dan/pythonvenv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/lit/main.py",
line 183, in search
    cache[path] = res = search1(path)
  File "/home/dan/pythonvenv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/lit/main.py",
line 174, in search1
    cfg = TestingConfig.frompath(cfgpath, None, litConfig, mustExist = True)
  File "/home/dan/pythonvenv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/lit/TestingConfig.py",
line 61, in frompath
    exec f in cfg_globals
  File "/home/dan/dev/OutputCheck/tests/lit.site.cfg", line 1, in <module>
    import lit.formats
ImportError: No module named formats
```

@Daniel Dunbar: Any chance of updating the pypi lit package to