[LLVMdev] The implementation algorithm behind LLVM's RegionInfo class

Tobias Grosser tobias at grosser.es
Fri Jun 27 13:25:51 PDT 2014

On 27/06/2014 22:04, Paul Vario wrote:
> Hi Tobi,
>
>         I have one additional question about the RegionInfo::isRegion
> function. In the second case (i.e. Entry dominates Exit),  why is checking
> the following two conditions are equivalent to checking it's a refined
> region:
>
> For any BB in DF(exit), 1)  BB should be in DF(entry)
>                                     2)  BB reachable only from entry through
> a path passing exit.
>
>         I.e., why is checking these two conditions is equivalent to ensure
> single-entry, single-exit in the sense of Refined Region.

I tried to formalize this in section 3.1 of the paper I sent you (but
did not look into this since almost four years), (no bug reports yet,
despite regular use at least in Polly).

Here the old text:

If Entry dominates Exit, than Exit is not element of
the dominance frontier of Entry. Every BB ∈ DF ( Exit ) will be element
of the domi- nance frontier of Entry. So there are two conditions to
check. First only basic blocks that are part of the dominance frontier
of Exit are allowed to be element of the dominance frontier of Entry.
And furthermore it has to be shown that these basic blocks can only be
reached from Entry through a path passing Exit. To show this the
derivedDomFrontier() function is used.  derivedDomFrontier ( BB, Entry,
Exit ) checks if there exists a path from Entry to BB that does not pass
Exit. This is done by checkng for every predecessor of BB, that if it
is dominated by Entry it is also dominated by Exit.  It has still to be
shown that there are no edges entering the region.  As all basic blocks
are dominated by Entry the only case where edges enter the region is if
Exit is dominated by Entry and has back edges pointing into the region.
These back edges will point to basic blocks dominated by Entry but not
by Exit. So the dominance frontier of Exit is not allowed to contain any
basic blocks that are dominated by Entry.

The code in lib/Analysis/RegionInfo.cpp matches this description almost
one-to-one with the only change that derivedDomFrontier was renamed to
isCommonDomFrontier().

Did you read this text? Does it make sense to you? It is not a nicely
written mathematical proof but may give an intuition.

Out of interest, why are you interested in the formalization of the
RegionInfo pass? Do you happen to have a test case where it is
incorrect?

Thanks,
Tobias