[LLVMdev] Phabricator and private reviews

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith dexonsmith at apple.com
Thu Jun 26 14:14:42 PDT 2014

Is this is a use case we need to support on <http://reviews.llvm.org>?

> while others *think* they're submitting public patches but the system doesn't forward them to the reviews lists

Aside from temporary infrastructure failures, which Manuel responds to quickly, there
seem to be two main reasons patches (and comments) don't get sent to the list:

 1. Reviewer neglects to add llvm-commits (or adds it after the fact, and the patch
    isn't sent).

    This seems easy to fix by requiring llvm-commits on llvm patches (and cfe-commits on
    clang patches).  Is there a technical hurdle to requiring this?

 2. Reviewer (or commenter) has an invalid or un-subscribed email on Phab.

    Is it technically feasible to disallow reviews (or comments on a review) from logins
    that aren't subscribed to the appropriate list and/or have invalid email addresses?

I suspect designing away these failures would fix most of the problems.

Since the purpose of this Phab instance is to support on-list reviews, we should make it
hard to get that wrong (even if it means making off-list reviews harder).

-- dpnes