[LLVMdev] Phabricator and private reviews

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Thu Jun 26 03:18:17 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Daniel Sanders <Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com>
wrote:

> [...]

Funnily enough I think that sending to a larger audience earlier has the
reverse effect - when people see that patches get thorough review (by
seeing problems addressed) they develop trust, which helps with reviews
later.

> > > Manuel: I'm aware of one other way for a review to be invisible to
> llvm-commits despite being
> > > CC'd. If you forget to CC llvm-commits when creating the differential
> revision and add it later in
> > > the web interface, Phabricator doesn't send an email to the list.
> Adding a comment (at the same
> > > time or afterwards) triggers an email.
> > > The same thing happens when adding reviewers without a comment.
> >
> > That is intentional. We don't want to spam the list with changes in phab
> - use phab like you would use email, and everything should be fine.
>
> Hmm. If I reply-all to an email, add a new recipient but forget to write
> anything, everyone still receives the email. Admittedly not writing
> anything would be unusual.

Well, if you don't hit "send" nothing gets sent :)

> As an alternative, perhaps the web interface should ask the user if they
> are sure they want to add a recipient without notifying them about it.

That would be awesome (patches welcome - phab is an open source project ;)
- in absence of that, I think it takes a contributor only once to learn to
write something when wanting to send out a patch.

But we also want to improve the workflow around this in general (so that
the first email that gets sent actually looks like a review request), which
would allow us to revisit the "do not send when adding reviewers"
decisions. As I've said, we would welcome contributions to the phabricator
stuff from the community, so far I've done all the adaptions to the LLVM
workflow myself (I've so far probably spent > 1 month of effort over the
years on phab development).

Cheers,
/Manuel