[LLVMdev] Phabricator and private reviews

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Wed Jun 25 11:10:26 PDT 2014

On 25/06/2014 21:03, Eli Bendersky wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com
> <mailto:alp at nuanti.com>> wrote:
>
>     For whatever reason, patches posted to the Phabricator website
>     still aren't being sent to the mailing list, making it difficult
>     for us to review them.
>
>     I've raised this issue a couple of times in the last few weeks.
>
>     In practice this has a detrimental effect to the development
>     workflow because it means that code is being seen only by a small
>     group of individuals who have web accounts. The code isn't hitting
>     llvm-commits or cfe-commits where the majority of code maintainers
>     use the mailing lists for review.
>
>     At this point I think Phabricator should be disabled and patches
>     should be send to the mailing lists *until* the technical issue is
>     confirmed resolved.
>
>     It's really uncool that code is entering ToT through this
>     back-channel -- I appreciate that it might not be intentional, but
>     every single patch that gets committed this way is a real problem
>     for the project.
>

> Phabricator has certainly had its share of technical difficulties
> lately. Just last week it suppressed all email to llvm-commits for
> many hours. These problems should be solved. That said, talking of
> "private reviews" and "back-channels" doesn't strike me as constructive.

Eli, I wasn't making a value judgement. That's exactly what they are:

   1) They're private reviews because they're conducted away from the
LLVM community.
   2) It's a back-channel because the only means of veto is to revert
the patch or attempt to "fix forward" post-commit.

I already pointed out that it may not be intentional -- Manuel suggested
it could be due to a PHP bug -- but the result is the same. Code is
going into the repository without due process which is just more work to
deal with for upstream LLVM developers.

Alp.

--
http://www.nuanti.com