[LLVMdev] Getting LNT to work with non-bash shell

Jeremy Salwen jeremysalwen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 13:58:15 PDT 2014

I followed the LNT quickstart guide (
http://llvm.org/docs/lnt/quickstart.html) on my debian machine, and it
seems to have a problem running.  When I consult test.log, every single
test has a section like this

# Pretend that the reference output was produced instantaneously.
> cp /home/jeremy/hardware/llvm/test-suite/instant.txt
> Output/sse.expandfft.out-nat.time
> /home/jeremy/hardware/llvm/test-suite/DiffOutput.sh
> "/home/jeremy/hardware/llvm/mysandbox/test-2014-06-24_20-20-59/tools/fpcmp
> -r 0.016" simple sse.expandfft
> rm -f Output/sse.expandfft.exe-simple
> cp Output/sse.expandfft.diff-simple Output/sse.expandfft.exe-simple
> /bin/sh: 7: test: 0: unexpected operator
> if test -f Output/sse.expandfft.extra-results.txt; then \
>       /home/jeremy/hardware/llvm/test-suite/ParseMultipleResults
> /home/jeremy/hardware/llvm/mysandbox/test-2014-06-24_20-20-59/SingleSource/UnitTests/Vector/SSE/sse.expandfft
> Output/sse.expandfft.extra-results.txt >>
> Output/sse.expandfft.simple.exec.report.txt; \
>     fi
> cat Output/sse.expandfft.simple.compile.report.txt
> Output/sse.expandfft.simple.exec.report.txt >>
> Output/sse.expandfft.simple.report.txt

Notice the line "/bin/sh: 7: test: 0: unexpected operator".

Although I don't understand how the LNT infrastructure works exactly, I'm
pretty sure that this is an error due to the difference between bash and
dash, the default /bin/sh on debian.  When I tried running one of the make
commands that LNT runs with the additional option SHELL=/bin/bash I got
similar output, but without the error.  I'm not sure what bash specific
features are being used.

I'd want LNT to use bash as a workaround, but I'm not sure how to change
which shell LNT uses (export SHELL=/bin/bash doesn't work).

Jeremy