[LLVMdev] Clarification on the backward compatibility promises

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 01:15:59 PDT 2014

On 22 June 2014 01:18, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have anything else to say about .bc/.ll compatibility? It is
> important to be clear to users about what compatibility we provide. I'd like
> to get consensus about this and put it in the docs somewhere.
>
> -- Sean Silva

To make this all a bit easier, how about making clang/llvm output a
version number at the beginning of the .ll or .bc file?
It would then be clear which version of clang/llvm wrote the file out.
You could then add warnings if clang/llvm thought they were
incompatible with the older version or not.

Kind Regards

James