[LLVMdev] Is there any tool can generate MIPS ELF file?

Eric Christopher echristo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 10:48:16 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:03 AM, Matheus Almeida
<Matheus.Almeida at imgtec.com> wrote:
>> Why Imagination Technologies do not offer the latest MIPS ABI document download link just like the ISA docs?
> It's something we're considering to do and the documents should be available at some point in the [hopefully] not too distant future.
>
>> then why GCC disagree with some MIPS ABI, it should be freely designed by MIPS ABI designer and compiler backend target implementation.
> I don't have a very good explanation to this question. The ABIs were implemented a long time ago and I can only guess at this point but I'd say that there were some misinterpretations of the spec and given the popularity of GCC, the implementation became the new standard and it's something that LLVM needs to cope with.

There are a lot of MIPS ABIs.

o32, n32, n64 - These came from the SGI world for IRIX originally, but
were also adopted for linux and used in gcc for both.
o64 - Invented at Cygnus for 64-bit processors
eabi - Different one invented at Cygnus
meabi - Invented with MIPS and Cygnus (and possibly others) in the
late 90s as a new embedded abi.
And there's been at least one or two other ABIs since - I'm pretty
sure Imagination Technologies working up a new abi right now.

-eric