[LLVMdev] Clarification on the backward compatibility promises

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 09:10:50 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <
rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 June 2014 16:07, Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info> wrote:
> > Hi Rafael,
> >
> >> Do others agree that this is the case or at least that this would be a
> >> reasonable balance?
> > IMO it's easier to be compatible on .ll level, no?
>
> That is not my experience with the bitcode format. The way the API is
> structured makes it really easy to support backwards compatibility.

Could you elaborate more on this?

My anecdotal experience is that the .ll is more stable. I remember last
summer that in multiple situations passing the old .bc (from the 3.1-based
or 3.2-based SCE compiler IIRC) to trunk would cause it to barf, while
passing the .ll file would not barf. I don't think I would be able to
reproduce this without a lot of work, so I'm just leaving this as an
anecdote.

-- Sean Silva