[LLVMdev] Regression in 3.4's register allocator?

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Mon Jun 16 11:02:50 PDT 2014

On 16 June 2014 17:00, Tom Stellard <tom at stellard.net> wrote:
> I suspect that we could automate most of the release process with bots, so
> if we could find a good solution for this, then it would be much easier to
> keep stable branches going longer, since we wouldn't need to rely on the
> time of human testers.

Assuming nothing goes wrong, as with 3.4.2, it's not such a big pain
to test and release to each one of us, testers. I heard some people do
the release test on buildbots (by monitoring the release branch
commits, not trunk). While that's a good idea, the main problems are
hardware availability (for those of us that don't have too many
devices to test, and trunk is more important), and making sure that
all bots (check, self-hosting, LNT) are validated (for whatever
meaning of validation) before the binaries are uploaded on the SFTP
site.

These are non-trivial constraints.

> Once 3.5 is released, then 3.5.x will become more interesting to me than
> 3.4.x, so I'm not sure I will have the time to keep the 3.4.x series
> going. However, if someone else would like to volunteer to continue
> managing 3.4.x releases, I will not object.

I agree this is a good idea. I'm not too interested in point releases,
myself, but I'll keep testing them. However, being a release manager
is no easy task, and I wouldn't force that on anyone just to keep it
up. I'd happily test 3.4.3 if anyone else decides to be the 3.4.x
release manager from now on, though.

cheers,
--renato