[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] [ADVERTISEMENT] open positions in Apple's Swift compiler team

Marc J. Driftmeyer mjd at reanimality.com
Thu Jun 12 18:40:36 PDT 2014

Either you're being disingenuous are truly looking to confuse a
situation only someone ignorant of what LLVM could ever misconstrue.

Why  would Apple dump hundreds of millions in R&D with Clang/LLVM,
create Swift and introduce it to everyone and the press for WWDC 2014,
followed up by posting on the LLVM list only to be moving away from LLVM?

More importantly, who appointed you e-mail monitor on what is or is not
appropriate dialogues to have for a project that clearly several
corporate members have an enormous stake in building, especially Apple?

- Marc

On 06/11/2014 08:03 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM, John Criswell <criswell at illinois.edu
> <mailto:criswell at illinois.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Dear All,
>
>     Historically, we *have* permitted job announcements for jobs that
>     require or desire expertise with LLVM or one of it's
>     sub-projects.  To the best of my knowledge, we've never required
>     that the position announcement state that the job will contribute
>     directly to the LLVM project (or its sub-projects) or that the
>     code created by the position be open source.
>
>     As an example, please see
>     http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2014-May/072938.html
>     and
>     http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2010-August/033695.html.
>
>     Using this criteria, I believe that Ted's post is on-topic
>     (although I agree that it should have stated the connection with
>     LLVM more prominently).
>

> The connection or relevance of LLVM experience really isn't clear...
> "Familiarity with LLVM or Clang a plus, but not required." makes it
> seem like it is not terribly relevant, which was the source of my concern.

Marc J. Driftmeyer
Email :: mjd at reanimality.com <mailto:mjd at reanimality.com>
Web :: http://www.reanimality.com
Cell :: (509) 435-5212