[LLVMdev] Problems with make

Dan Liew dan at su-root.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 01:48:42 PDT 2014

On 12 Jun 2014 05:31, "pratik dand" <pratikdand143 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear,
>
> I am currently working on one specific architecture. When I make changes
and try to "make" it takes a very long time as It compiles all the files in
the source.

> My question is since I am only editing a few files in the architecture
directory and some files in include directory, Can I speed up my "make" by
running "make" only for a few files?

There is a way but DO NOT DO THIS! If make is rebuilding a lot of files
then it is very likely it is necessary for them to be rebuilt and trying to
circumvent this will lead to confusing problems.

If you want things to go faster

* Use the -jN flag with make to build in parallel where N is the maximum
number of jobs run in parallel. E.g.

$ make -j4

If that's not fast enough...

* Use the CMake and Ninja as the build system rather than Autoconf/make

$ cmake -G Ninja /path/to/llvm/source
$ ninja

Ninja runs in parallel by default and is non recursive.

Still not fast enough?

* If linking seems to be a bottleneck consider using the Gold linker
instead.

Still not fast enough?

* Throw better or more hardware (distcc maybe?) at the problem.

Dan.