[LLVMdev] [ADVERTISEMENT] open positions in Apple's Swift compiler team

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Wed Jun 11 10:17:35 PDT 2014

On 06/11/14 10:56 PM, Adam Treat wrote:
> That is surprising since Swift has reportedly been in development for
> a number of years internally. Apple has a long history with Open
> Source including this very project.  You had to know that this
> question was going to be asked very quickly after the announcement.
> Given that you don't have an answer even now I would tend to be
> pessimistic...
I wouldn't be pessimistic so quickly - Remember that most likely the
engineers were just focused on the technical side and maybe didn't even
have a chance to look about getting it pushed publicly. Even though
Lattner has a lot of influence at Apple - there are tall legal hurdles
for large public companies.

If it gets enough developer adoption - I'm sure someone (from Apple or
community) will eventually start to contribute patches upstream to clang.