[LLVMdev] New Alias Analysis Algorithm

George Burgess gbiv at google.com
Tue Jun 10 13:45:56 PDT 2014

Hello LLVMDev,

I'm George, an intern for Google who will be working on LLVM. Currently,
I'm starting to implement a set-based Alias Analysis algorithm for LLVM,
which looks like it may be more accurate than Steensgard's, and can be
constructed in approximately nlog(n) time and linear space (n = number of
memory locations; queries happen in constant time). It will most likely be
implemented as a function pass, and if all goes well, I hope to have it
committed.

If you would like more information about the algorithm, see link [1] below.
If you're interested in rationale behind algorithm selection, a few of the
implementation details, and a summary of how it works, see [2] below. As an
aside, chandlerc has warned me that LLVM isn't quite perfect about
notifying all function passes that transforms have been applied to a
function. This is known, and will be taken into account as best as
possible. :)

If you have any questions, suggestions, comments, etc. about this, then
feel free to ping me,
George

[1] -
http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/lyu/_media/paper/pldi2013.pdf?id=home&cache=cache