[LLVMdev] Instrumentation based Profiling

Justin Bogner mail at justinbogner.com
Mon Jun 9 14:27:02 PDT 2014

Jeremy Salwen <jeremysalwen at gmail.com> writes:
> I've been searching the mailing list and the web for discussion of the
> frontend instrumentation profiling.  Is there some sort of a design document
> or thread where it was discussed?  I'm curious why it was implemented in the
> frontend instead of a pass on the IR.

Bob Wilson talked about the motivation for this approach at the 2013 dev
meeting. He's the first speaker in the video here:

    http://llvm.org/devmtg/2013-11/#talk14

and the thread from the original proposal last September:

    http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/2013-September/031825.html

A few things have changed since then, but hopefully those are helpful.