[LLVMdev] Support for Windows Phone 8.1

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Sat Jun 7 22:28:15 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Nick Lewycky <nicholas at mxc.ca> wrote:

> Damanjit Singh wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Would really appreciate any help here.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daman
>>
>> From: Damanjit Singh <dsingh at adobe.com <mailto:dsingh at adobe.com>>
>>
>> Date: Friday, 6 June 2014 12:57 pm
>> To: "llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu <mailto:llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu>"
>> <llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu <mailto:llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu>>
>>
>> Subject: Support for Windows Phone 8.1
>>
>> Hi LLVMdev,
>>
>> Does the latest trunk code support Windows Phone 8.1 target ?
>>

> I don't know this, but ...
>
>  I was trying out a simple program, but Visual Studio 2013’s linker
>> failed for me with this error - app.obj : error LNK2008: Fixup target is
>> not aligned ‘add3'
>>
>> This is what I tried -
>>
>>   * Download latest LLVM sources (as on 4th June) and build them on my
>>     MAC 10.9 machine.
>>   * Wrote a simple a.c, with add3 function-
>>

>> int add3(int i, int j)
>> {
>> int k = i+j;
>> return k;
>> }
>>
>>   * Create LLVM IR using Xcode 5.1’s clang ( *clang –S -O0 -emit–llvm
>> a.c* )
>>   * Create obj file – using llc - *. /i686-apple-darwin11-llc
>>     -filetype=obj -mtriple=thumbv7-windows-msvc -O0 a.s *
>>

> ... in general this doesn't work. The transformation from C to LLVM IR
> needs to know the target triple. Try "clang --target=thumbv7-windows-msvc
> a.c -c -o a.obj"? Since clang has a built-in assembler, you should get a
> valid COFF file out, to the extent that clang and llvm support this target.
>
> If that doesn't work, I may suggest it's unsupported.

As Nick mentioned, please generate the object file directly from clang.
 You can use armv7-windows or thumbv7-windows (clang will translate
armv7-windows to thumbv7-windows implicitly).  I just fixed a bug that
should allow you to link the object files with link.

> Nick
>
>    * Now on a Windows 8.1 Desktop machine, link this object file into
>>
>>     sample (new DirectX app, windows phone) Visual Studio 2013 project.
>>   * Declare and Call add3 in the sample windows project.
>>   * I then get a linker error on building the solution.
>>
>> *1>app.obj : error LNK2008: Fixup target is not aligned 'add3'*
>> *1>LINK : fatal error LNK1165: link failed because of fixup errors*
>> *========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========*
>>

>> Could someone please confirm about the state of support for Windows
>> Phone 8.1 ? Or am I missing something here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daman

Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org