[LLVMdev] [lld] LLD's software architecture (update)

Rui Ueyama ruiu at google.com
Mon Jun 2 00:25:03 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Bas van den Berg <
b.van.den.berg.nl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been following the changes in LLD's software architecture.
> Recently a new file was added: Alias.h
> In this file, the curret Atom set is extended with an AliasAtom.
> While the change seems innocent enough, it has some nasty
> potential. Simple.h and Alias.h are placed in the ReaderWriter
> component. This is the 2nd component in the layering:
> Driver
> ReaderWriter
> Passes
> Core
>
> The problem is that Core depends on these files. So in my opinion,
> they belong to that Component. The greater impact here is that
> once core starts depending on ReaderWriter, architecture Erosion
> will happen. This would obviously not be a good thing, since the
> current design is fresh and clean.

Core's dependency to Simple.h was there before the addition of Alias.h, so
it's not new. And I don't feel like it's that bad as you might be feeling.
Do you have any suggestion to get rid of it? Just moving the file to Core?

I would love to supply patches, but am having issues getting