[LLVMdev] Codeface: Open-Source Developer Study

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:45:56 PDT 2014

Hi,

I started doing the survey, but I stopped when it required manually listing
the developers that I collaborated with and the nature of the collaboration
(and it seems that participating in a review or discussion thread with that
developer requires listing them).

I believe that this is an overly onerous requirement, since the number of
developers that I would have to list would be very large and it would take
me a long time to inventory the nature of the collaboration. For example,
on just one page of my "sent" email I can see at least 10 developers that I
would have to manually list and analyze the nature of the thread. I assume
that most LLVM developers would be in a similar boat.

For this survey to be more realistic, I would recommend that you mine the
mailing list archives (and maybe also SVN and bugzilla) to develop
preliminary information, then use that to pre-populate the contents of
question 2 (after the survey-taker has given their emails); you also may
want to present a listing of thread titles with the ability to click
through to show the mailing list thread for further inspection.

Also keep in mind that a number of us have been (or still are) involved
with LLVM from multiple email addresses, so the system must be able to take
this into account. For example, a survey-taker should be able to specify
multiple email addresses that are associated with them, and probably also
should be able to say "these two rows of question 2 are actually the same
person".

Also, it's not clear what version number we should put in; the page seems
to suggest using e.g. v3.0 if you are a current LLVM developer, but that
doesn't make sense because we have been in v3.x for a very long time.
It doesn't really matter though, because LLVM development does not revolve
around releases and so using version numbers to identify anything about
developer involvement doesn't make sense. I would recommend just using the
time of involvement, ideally pre-populated from mailing list information.

-- Sean Silva