[LLVMdev] VMKit build problems; can't use LLVM3.4.2 ?

Brian Faull bfaull at cog-e.com
Mon Jul 21 13:33:57 PDT 2014

Greetings,

I've been using LLVM and Clang for some time, but I'm new to the list and new to VMKit; please advise if I should post this elsewhere.

VMKit doesn't seem to build with LLVM/Clang 3.4.2 -- seems that one must use LLVM3.3.  I see the following error:

VmkitGCPrinter.cpp:363:53: error: too many arguments to function call, expected 2, have 3
      AP.OutStreamer.EmitValue(address, IntPtrSize, 0);

I now see the vmkit build instructions (http://vmkit.llvm.org/get_started.html) explicitly say to use LLVM and Clang 3.3; using that version fixes the above.  It seems to be that the signature of (at least) one function from the LLVM library (e.g., llvm/MC/MCStreamer.h::EmitValue(...)) changed from LLVM 3.3 => 3.4.2 .

Is there any plan to migrate vmkit to build to build against LLVM >= 3.4.2 ?  This is probably disruptive (ABI breakage?) but seems prudent; perhaps there are other fundamental problems in this migration.  I'd be willing to contribute to a 3.4.2-compatible branch if there is one (I don't see an obvious candidate in svn repo http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/vmkit/branches).

Have I got this correct, or I missing something else?

Incidentally, this seems to be the same behavior/problem as reported on 20 January 2014 by neoedmund (http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2014-January/069558.html), which is solved by building using LLVM3.3 (no response seen).

Thank you!
Brian