[LLVMdev] [compiler-rt] CMake bug in building ARM builtins library

sgundapa sgundapa at codeaurora.org
Thu Jul 17 13:11:30 PDT 2014

+Tim Northover

I added ".syntax unified" to the sync_fetch_* .S files and the
"-no-integrated-as" path moved ahead and failed with
Error: branch out of range

No Integrated asm path:

.p2align 2 ;
 .thumb ;
 .syntax unified ;
 ;
 .globl __sync_fetch_and_add_8 ;
 .type __sync_fetch_and_add_8,%function ;
 __sync_fetch_and_add_8: push {r4, r5, r6, lr} ;
 dmb ;
 mov r12, r0 ;
 .L_tryatomic_add_8: ldrexd r0, r1, [r12] ;
 adds r4, r0, r2 ;
 adc r5, r1, r3 ;
 strexd r6, r4, r5, [r12] ;
 cbnz r6, .L_tryatomic_add_8 ;
 dmb ;
 pop {r4, r5, r6, pc}

The ARM manual on CBNZ says backward branching is not possible.
Refer to
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0489c/Cjaghef
c.html

Integrated asm path:
Surprisingly, integrated-as compiles the file and the objdump looks invalid

Disassembly of section .text:
00000000 <__sync_fetch_and_add_8>:
   0:	b570      	push	{r4, r5, r6, lr}
   2:	f3bf 8f5f 	dmb	sy
   6:	4684      	mov	ip, r0
   8:	e8dc 017f 	ldrexd	r0, r1, [ip]
   c:	1884      	adds	r4, r0, r2
   e:	eb41 0503 	adc.w	r5, r1, r3
  12:	e8cc 4576 	strexd	r6, r4, r5, [ip]
  16:	bbbe      	cbnz	r6, 88 <__sync_fetch_and_add_8+0x88>
  18:	f3bf 8f5f 	dmb	sy
  1c:	bd70      	pop	{r4, r5, r6, pc}

There is no <__sync_fetch_and_add_8+0x88> at least as I could tell

There are two issues here:
1. We need to update the sync_fetch_* files to generate proper assembly
2. How clang ARM MC is accepting the above assembly to compile.

--Sumanth G