[LLVMdev] GCC/LLVM frame pointer incompatibility on ARM

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Jul 17 07:06:28 PDT 2014

On 17 July 2014 14:49, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's an answer. I wouldn't go any further than that myself.

Maybe I didn't explain my position right. GCC folks are *definitely*
willing to change IFF there is a formal proposal from ARM. They also
agree that this is as bad as anything else when it comes to guessing
undocumented behaviour (but the formal reason is APCS), and they
*also* understand the headaches other people have with the
differences.

But changing this now will have repercussions across the toolchain and
other tools that rely on it, only for a year later ARM decide to do
something else entirely. It's not worth the headache.

LLVM has a greater freedom to move and deprecate things, they don't. I
find it hard to see how this could be different.

--renato