[LLVMdev] Does LLVM 3.5 works with IR from LLVM 3.0?

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Jul 15 08:07:10 PDT 2014

On 15 July 2014 15:46, John Criswell <jtcriswel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe LLVM 3.5 is supposed to be able to read bitcode files from LLVM
> 3.0.

Not having tests for that makes it really hard to be sure it works,
and we didn't particularly kept it as a design goal throughout
development since then.

Things like how unions and structures are represented and marshaled,
how functions are called (PCS) and more drastically debug metadata
have changed so much that it'd be near impossible to read any
reasonably sized 3.0 IR with the current tools.

cheers,
--renato