[LLVMdev] Proposal: support object file-based on-disk module format

Dan Liew dan at su-root.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 11:21:00 PDT 2014

Hi Peter,

This sounds sensible to me.

There is one thing that does concern me though. IIRC when you create
object files with additional sections the GNU ld linker (possibly
others too) will concatenate sections it doesn't recognise into the
final executable.
There is actually a hacky tool called whole-program-llvm [1] which
actually uses this to get a list of paths to LLVM bitcode files that
make up the final executable.

If I've understood your proposal correctly then when compiling and
using the GNU ld linker you would end up with all the bitcode files
embedded in the final executable. Is this intentional?

[1] https://github.com/travitch/whole-program-llvm

Thanks,
Dan Liew.