[LLVMdev] Trouble with using PassManager to execute custom passes that have dependencies.

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Jan 24 01:14:37 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Paul Vario <paul.paul.mit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I wrote my own FunctionPass that depends on DominatorTree and LoopInfo
> passes. Then my own pass is executed outside the LLVM optimizer
> infrastructure (I.e., in a main file). However, I got the following error:

This just isn't supported by the existing pass management machinery. There
is no viable way to run them outside of the LLVM pass managers.

There is work to replace this part of LLVM's infrastructure and it will
make some of these kinds of things more obvious, but there will still be
requirements for passes to operate on dependencies.