[LLVMdev] Gather load in LLVM IR

Nicholas Chapman admin at indigorenderer.com
Wed Jan 22 05:01:52 PST 2014

Hi Mark,

On 22/01/2014 1:06 a.m., Mark Lacey wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> On Jan 21, 2014, at 1:54 PM, Nicholas Chapman <admin at indigorenderer.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Evan, all,
>> The most obvious thing to me would be to extend the load instruction to have an additional form that takes a vector of pointers instead of a single pointer.
>> This form would return a vector of values instead of a single value.
>> If a gather instruction is not available on the target, then the load could be lowered to a series of scalar loads and insert elements.
> Are you only interested in gather, or scatter as well?
Currently I'm only interested in gather.

> What are the limitations on the vector of pointers?
> - Do they have to have power-of-two number of elements?
I would prefer there was no power-of-two restriction, since that
restriction has been eased for the LLVM vector type in general.
> - Do they have to point to scalars? If not, does it support any struct/vector type, or only vectors and homogeneous structs with all the elements of the same type?
Currently I would be happy to just have scalars handled. Presumably if
scalars are handled initially then requirements can be relaxed in the
future.

Thanks,
     Nick