[LLVMdev] Why is the default LNT aggregation function min instead of mean

Tobias Grosser tobias at grosser.es
Thu Jan 16 17:32:41 PST 2014

On 01/17/2014 02:17 AM, David Blaikie wrote:
> Right - you usually won't see a normal distribution in the noise of test
> results. You'll see results clustered around the lower bound with a long
> tail of slower and slower results. Depending on how many samples you do it
> might be appropriate to take the mean of the best 3, for example - but the
> general approach of taking the fastest N does have some basis in any case.
>
> Not necessarily the right answer, the only right answer, etc.

Interesting. In fact I had the very same thoughts at the beginning.

However, when looking at my test results the common pattern looks like
this example:

http://llvm.org/perf/db_default/v4/nts/graph?show_all_points=yes&moving_window_size=10&plot.0=34.95.3&submit=Update

The run-time of a test case is very consistently one of several fixed
values. The distribution of the different times is very consistent and
seems to form, in fact, something like a normal distribution (more in
the center, less at the border).

The explanation I have here is that the machine is by itself in fact not
very noisy. Instead, changes of the execution context (e.g. due to
allocation of memory at a different location) influences the
performance. If we, by luck, have a run where all 'choices' have been
optimal we get minimal performance. However, in case of several
independent factors, it is more likely that we get a non-optimal
configuration that yields a value in the middle. Consequently, the
minimal seems to be a non-optimal choice here.

I understand that there may be some 'real' noise values, but as the
median does not seem to be affected very much by 'extremal' values, I
have the feeling it should be reasonable robust to such noise.

Have you seen examples where the median value gives a wrong impression
regarding performance?

Cheers,
Tobias