[LLVMdev] Build-bot host compiler upgrades and C++11!

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Jan 15 04:47:33 PST 2014

On 15 January 2014 11:38, "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:

> In the case of Ubuntu - I thought an older version of clang was available
> in the repo. Why didn't they just switch the build bot to use that instead
> of forcing gcc-4.8.2?

One of the reasons I've gone to all the trouble of upgrading my three bots
is that I have a self-hosting bot that already tests clang. If I moved them
to clang, we'd probably regress when compiling with GCC. It's rare, but can
happen.

Another issue is the libstdc++ that Chandler is also moving forward because
of many bugs in C++11 and C++03 libraries.

In the end, if we need to upgrade the libraries, why not upgrade the whole
distribution? It's a lot easier, too. ;)

cheers,
--renato