[LLVMdev] 16-bit x86 status update

Charles Davis cdavis5x at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 13:37:25 PST 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 2:25 PM, Tim Northover wrote:

> On 14 January 2014 21:16, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:
>> I just want to state that I hope we never implement the 16-bit Microsoft C++
>> ABI for -m16.
>
> I just want to state that I nominate Reid to implement the 16-bit
> Microsoft C++ ABI for -m16. He's doing such a wonderful job of the 32
> and 64-bit versions!
I second that motion!

/me laughs evilly

But you won't have to worry about that. (At least, not yet... ;) Right now, all -m16 supports (AFAICT) is a mode similar to .code16gcc: an ABI largely the same as i386, but any 32-bit instructions that get emitted have size prefixes. Nothing esoteric like far (i.e. segment:offset) pointers or "pascal" calling conventions. (And $DEITY have mercy if we have to implement huge pointers! :)

Chip