[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] AArch64 Clang CLI interface proposal

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Jan 8 04:58:23 PST 2014

On 8 January 2014 12:32, Bernard Ogden <Bernard.Ogden at arm.com> wrote:

>  I don't think there's software that *needs* the compatibility, but it is
> easier for GCC projects to switch to clang if that compatibility is there -
> which I think is why we go for GCC compatibility in the first place?

Hi Bernie,

GCC compatibility is always considered to be an important feature of LLVM,
not the *most* important one. We'll never go beyond reason to add GCC
compatibility just because, especially one that is poorly or not at all
documented.

The general rule of thumb is to ask the questions:
 * Do we really need it?
 * Isn't there any other way?
 * Is this sane? Or should the original authors re-write their programs?

There has been some progress on both GCC and LLVM to co-operate, rather
than follow each other blindly, and I can see this as the only future for
both toolchains.

In this specific case, I'd strongly oppose to follow whatever GCC does,
since the Clang driver is already mind bogging. The only reasonable course
of action from here is to open the discussion in the GCC and LLVM community
together (not sure how, but we'll *have* to figure it out), and follow from
there.

cheers,
--renato